The Late Fitness Test podcast | Episode SixTuesday, September 10 2019
On this weeks’ Late Fitness Test podcast - in association with Shoot the Defence - myself, Johnny Wilson (@johnny_wilson5) and Stel Stylianou (@UncleStel) were joined by former Head of Sports Science at Bury FC – Matt Wood – to discuss the tragic demise of this small northern club.
“100 per cent, I thought right up until the end that we were going to be saved by someone.”
Heart-wrenching stuff from Matt who tells us what it was like during those final weeks and days. He talks us through his time as a volunteer and how he finished as an unpaid head of department. A club left in turmoil, but for Matt, he will always be grateful for the opportunity handed to him by Bury.
- Johnny outlines the task-based rehabilitation programme the Frenchman will undertake as he targets a return-to-play in early 2020.
“This guy is going to have to learn to walk again, and the knee is going to have to learn to function with part of its shock absorber gone.”
The International Break
- Is the social media circus justified given the high number of players who will withdraw from their respective national teams, but return when the domestic fixtures resume?
- The Fergie fingerprint. Do big clubs influence high-profile player omissions? We look at Aaron Wan-Bissaka/Paul Pogba and the FIFA guidelines around releasing players for games.
Dietary habits and the ‘Four Pillars of Performance’….
- Mindset – positive outlook, practice with intensity
- Type of Exercise – training with precision, periodisation
- Sleep – more, and better!
- And diet…… *spoiler* Johnny loses us for a bit when he touches upon metabolic flexibility.
And, finally, Stel is full of praise for Watford head coach Javi Gracia, just two days before his sacking!
Ben is football’s leading injury specialist. The ‘go-to’ guru for big hitters like Sky Sports, ESPN and NBC Sports when they need data. Or the BBC, talkSPORT and the broadsheets when a quote is required. His unique insight has helped provide a better understanding of what is really happening in the treatment rooms.
Johnny is a respected physiotherapist and sports scientist, specialising in football injuries and rehab. Johnny has headed up the medical departments at Chesterfield, Scunthorpe and Notts County. Overseeing everything from player-specific training loads to pre-signing medicals. He has a proven record working with elite athletes in Private Practice and is regularly called upon throughout Europe to deliver presentations on the latest rehab innovations.
Matt's short, unremarkable football career was ended by his own bad driving. His long, distinguished career as a football tipster was ended by his own good advice. Because bookmakers don’t like a winner. First, they closed his accounts. Then his members’ accounts. Then his tipping service. And now they employ him as a consultant. Funny old game.